Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Clark’s Court Bay

When we were shopping at IGA one Friday, we met an old acquaintance from our stay in Grenada Marine last year, Marie-Claude/Stephan, who were staying at Port Louis Marina for a while. They mentioned their intention of having dinner at Whisper Cove Marina with a group of Quebecois and French/Swiss people, starting from Port Louis by free taxi service from the other marina. For the couple of days we also were at Port Louis, so we said by all means. Around 5:00 pm the taxi rounded us up; Marie-Claude/Stephan; Marie-Claude/Michel (apparently the Swiss had a shortage of names around the late fifties), Jack and us, and took us all the way to Clark’s Court Bay, where Whisper Cove Marina is located. It is at the southern coast, almost at the middle, after Prickly Bay. We got down, and admired the sleepy marina, which is operated by three Quebecois, a couple and a chef. Thursday nights is roasted chicken special, and people from all over Grenada congregate there. Just like St Hubert/Swiss Chalet chicken of Canada. We had a great dinner, met with thee couples from Canada, and heard good things about the Clarke’s Court Bay in general. We decided to go there, since Belmont had become untenable, but I hate marina living. 

Next morning we were on the move, destination Clarke’s Court. We poured over the maps, read Doyle’s suggestions about the good anchorages around the bay, and set sail. The winds were favorable up to Saline Point, westernmost part of Grenada; then of course, we had to turn east. I begged Al to drop the sails before turning, and he humoured me. When we got to the part of the sea where two currents meet, which run at direct angles with each other, along with the full force of the east wind on the nose, we were ready with our engines. Long story short, we bumped our way through the swells and the wind and the current coming at us for an hour and a half. As we approached the entrance of the bay, which is quite near to the west shore of the Caligvny Island, clearly marked by several buoys, we saw a group of sailboats coming out, obviously a regatta, just starting their leg from the bay. It was a delight to see them come out, which also showed us where to go in, before we noticed the buoys. 

We took a turn in the bay; saw some boats anchored at the west part of the bay, in deep waters, 35 feet or more. Not our cup of tea. We went to the east coast, into a small indention, where some boats were moored and anchored. While we were trying to anchor, some people from the other boats yelled to us, pointing out the wide swinging range of the boats, so that we would not come too close. No problem, we are not French, we do not like close proximity to other boats! 

We anchored at a safe distance from everybody, and settled down. Oh boy, what Ruyam II did was not swinging, it was turning around 360 degrees, all the time. One could get dizzy looking out the window. I could not understand what the currents and the wind were doing, usually coming from different directions at all times. And the water further in the bay is kind of murky and full of nutrients. Our small nook had the best water quality, but nevertheless, it was impossible to see the bottom, 25 feet deep. But it was not rolly, although breezy. Perfect conditions to live!

We stayed there for a week, bumped into a couple we had seen last year in Fort De France, Martinique; Jim/Donna of Gumption. They told us about the Hash Harriers run (a kind of paper-chase hike/run in the bush, terminating with a party with lots of beer!) taking place every Saturday which piqued my interest. 

We immediately signed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment